Reflections from "Pew News"
IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS CHURCH
OR A VISITOR
PLEASE DO MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN TO US.
Texts from the New International Version (NIV) Bible
You can make sure you are seeing the latest version of this page
by pressing F5 (you will find that on the top row of keys on most PCs)
to Refresh your view.
Collects and Readings
1st August 2021 - Ninth Sunday after Trinity
Collects and Readings
Almighty God, who sent your Holy Spirit to be the life and light of your Church: open our hearts to the riches of your grace, that we may bring forth the fruit of the Spirit in love and joy and peace; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.
Gracious Father, revive your Church in our day, and make her holy, strong and faithful, for your glory’s sake in Jesus Christ our Lord.
First Reading - Ephesians 4:1-16
1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why it says: "When he ascended on high, he took many captives and gave gifts to his people.” 9(What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 14Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. 16From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Gospel – John 6:24-35
- Once the crowd realized that neither Jesus nor his disciples were there, they got into the boats and went to Capernaum in search of Jesus.
- When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, "Rabbi, when did you get here?”
- Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill.
- Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”
- Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?”
- Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
- So they asked him, "What sign then will you give that we may see it and believe you? What will you do?
- Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written: 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"
- Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.
- For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
- "Sir," they said, "always give us this bread.”
- Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
Holy Father, who gathered us here around the table of your Son to share this meal with the whole household of God: in that new world where you reveal the fullness of your peace, gather people of every race and language to share in the eternal banquet of Jesus Christ our Lord.
Readings for Sunday next week
1st August 2021 - 10th Sunday after Trinity
- Ephesians 4:25-5:2
- John 6:35,41-51