|Print this Recipe
Spiced Plum or Damson Chutney
Ingredients: Makes about 6lb
3lb plums or damsons
1lb cooking apples
3 largish onions
3 garlic cloves
2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger
1lb seedless raisins
1lb dark soft brown sugar
1lb Demerara sugar
2 pints malt vinegar
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons salt
1oz allspice berries
1 dessertspoon whole cloves
12” square muslin
Kilner or screw-top jars with lids
- Wash and dry fruit. Stone Plums or stew damsons and remove stones.
- Core and mince unpeeled apples and add to pan. Mince and add onions.
- Crush garlic and add with ginger, raisins the sugars and vinegar.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir thoroughly.
- Tie cinnamon sticks, allspice and clove into loosely formed muslin bag and hang from handle of pan.
- Bring everything to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring to prevent sticking to the bottom.
- When almost all the vinegar has disappeared and the chutney has thickened to a soft consistency, it is ready. It will thicken more when cooled.
- While still warm pout into washed, warmed and dry jars. Cover with waxed discs and seal with screw lids.
- Label when cold and store in a cool, airy cupboard. Leave to mellow for at least 3 months.
A food processor can be used instead of a mincer.